Thursday 15 August 2013

Demo at Carlton

It was an early morning for me today. 
I had to go to Carlton le Moorland, forty seven miles away, to give an oil demonstration and hadn't done any preparation. I'd spent yesterday in the garden trimming and tidying (Frank loves to clear up the heaps I leave around the garden) That done we struck up the BBQ and opened a bottle of wine. 
Needless to say, not a lot was done after that.

Car packed, I set off at 8.45am. A couple of detours en route (yes, I got lost) and arrived at 10am. Lots of willing helpers to unpack the car, a swift, warm introduction and I was off.
There were lots of familiar faces in the group as I've done a couple of workshops for them in the past. 

As usual, I chatted about my methods, materials etc. for a bit. (delaying the moment of putting paint to canvas) I'd taken three different coloured frames to illustrate the difference a frame can make to a painting. They were amazed at how the colours of frame can bring out different colours in a painting.


Carlton Art Group


The subject was figures in the landscape or in this case, seascape.
My pallet was Permanent Rose, Cadmium Yellow, Ultramarine & Alkyd Titanium White

Working on a canvas covered board I blocked in the sky, sea and beach and then added the figures in a dark  mix of the three primaries diluted with turpentine.
Next step was to add more paint and scumble over the beach area, working from dark to light. 

After 3/4 hour we stopped for coffee, I stood back and decided the sand was too green ( I do have a problem mixing under artificial light) So, in the break I scraped back and changed the colour. The underneath colour comes through in places and adds to the layered affect.
Next stage was to add more paint to the figures and to cut in around the ones that were too fat.
Finally after dragging more paint on with the pallet knife, I splatted across the foreground and this is the result

Having a joke


The finished painting

At the end of the session I had some lovely feedback more than one person said that they couldn't wait to get their oil paints out again and others were inspired to go out and buy some (encouraged by the fact they need only buy four tubes)

I am happy to say that I have been invited back to run another workshop for the group.
I look forward to seeing everyone again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and am open to positive criticism.